Divine Discontent // A Life of Generosity


News of the Rakhine being stuck in no-man's land between border guards and the Myanmese army made me want to know where this border is exactly. Sometimes the amount of bad news from the same places everyday makes things feel 'standard'.

But no, part of our battle for the truth is that each piece of such news belies the lives of eternal souls. These souls have history of rich experiences, they can be so resilient, yet I can't ever imagine the trauma and its after-effects on them.

I was looking at those borders between the nations. Looking at the map, I understood better why Italy and France have so many Libya and Algeria refugees. Borders are a de facto part of the world. We don't really question the fundamental anxiety that's driving each country to protect its borders, do we?

I am part of the anxiety. Let the refugees in, and there will bound to be societal changes. Let the foreign workers come, but they are only acceptable if they meet our sector needs and don't disrupt our social norms.

That's why I think that organisations like Doctors Without Borders and WorldVision are so important, in witnessing the truth that humanity's identity is bound up with something far greater than nationhood.

Found myself wishing that I were born a guy and so be able to visit all those -stan countries: Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan... It is a folly I know. I wouldn't want me another way. Because the life of generosity is not just found in the things that make people go "Wow", but more so in the small, daily acts of faithful living that allows oneself to be inconvenienced.
Perhaps what Jesus meant when he said, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much" (Luke 16:10) is that these small acts are slowly fitting us for greater things.

So let me not jump the gun, but honour the process. I know I'll look back and see Your mighty and patient hand in my life, Abba Father.

Comments