lemoncakepie








I love making pies/tarts.



 As you will most probably notice, I baked this in a tart tin.


I was nearly going to get a pie dish today, but in the end, pragmatism prevailed and we got a baking dish instead because it can be used for other purposes when I'm not baking pies.

Next time I will make a real pie following this. But still in a tart tin.


Till then, I still have 2 slices of this in the fridge. Yum.

Recipe from Beatrice Osakanga's Light and Easy Baking

CRUST
1 cup AP flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons ice water

FILLING
1/3 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (I used more)
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 large eggs separated
1 cup skim milk (but I used the normal milk anyway)

Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.

Crust: In a small bowl, stir flour and salt together. In another, combine oil and water. With a fork, stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles texture of cottage cheese. Press crumbs onto the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 190 degrees C.

Filling: In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice. In a small bowl, beat milk and egg yolks together. Stir the egg mixture into the lemon mixture.

In a medium bowl, beat egg whites till stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into the lemon mixture.

Pour filling into pastry shell. Bake for 45 to 55 mins (NOTE: I baked it for only 25 mins..I don't know if it was my oven or the recipe) or until top and centre feels set when lighted touched.

Makes 8 servings


You would probably get more filling, so cook it along with the pie or if you want to be like me, microwave repeatedly for short time intervals cos you wouldn't know if the microwave will burn the thing.

Comments