Maranatha

 


This hymn brought tears to my eyes as we sang it in church this morning...

The plaintive tune and lyrics brought to mind the many Christians waiting, seeking, praying (or faint from praying), for peace and justice for themselves and their homeland.

Sigh.. Come Lord Jesus. 

There are no words, just sighs and groans at the horrors I read/know a fraction of in the news and on social media. 

As I read about ("yet another") natural disaster- "worst flood in a century in Somalia", the death toll, the reason (El Nino)- my heart naturally 'seizes up' a bit to shore myself from getting too affected. Yet Lord, yet Kang, aren't each 1 behind the number that added to the death toll and the people displaced from their homes, an eternal soul?

It is all too easy to get hypocritical and think to myself: "I care quite a bit already". Thank You Spirit for putting in my heart this thought: We in Singapore may feel protected from all these, but its not if but when these troubles reaches our shores. Is the church ready to stand in these times? Can we stand in the breach and intercede, be the light amidst troubling times?

I know I cannot. We cannot.

With trembling and nothing to offer, I come before You great God. That we may not lapse into banalities and lethargy, into comfortable middle-class living, into a self-protective ignorance. Help me, help us, all-knowing Father. ✝️

Comments