A Leaf!

(This is in reference to the lovely story mentioned in the previous post, really thank God for this 'leaf')
 

Just wanted to remember a day like this. Started off the day feeling a little cranky due to lack of sleep and physical exertion from the yesterday's Urban Hike. By the time I made it out of TJ office after an intense meeting around 1pm, my body was protesting.

So when I was back at my office I just kept putting off planning for the counseling session at 4.30pm. At slightly after 4pm, I was slumped on my chair holding the case file in my hands and asking myself what should I do with this boy (lol haha I am not a good representation of a counselor). Asked God also, my supervisor too.

Literally went up to him and said "I don't know what to do for my session later" Wise wise supervisor, he replied "Ask him what he wants to do. "But, he will just say he wants to go home." "Then ask him what he wants to do at home."

Anyway, I was halfway through plodding quickly as I could to find a suitable movie when the boy came. At that point I think I was too tired to panic, just whack.

So usually when we talk, his classic three responses (which are typical for youths btw) are "Ok", "Don't know", "Not sure"- and it was super frustrating at times because how am I gonna counsel if I don't know what you are experiencing?! I also become not sure, don't know where I am going, and okay loh just whack.

But for some miraculous reason today we had a really really good session. So verbose, and we both agreed that we saw a different side of him. And I had quite a lot of fun laughing with him (naughty stuff he did but funny lah)- but also using this to challenge if that is really the kind of choice he wants to continue making for his life. I am super thankful to be able to draw out and witness him seeing himself in a different light from the label of 'troublemaker'  :')

What privileged access I have to interface with these youths at this point of their lives.

Comments